Sunday, November 27, 2011

Food Highlights from Turkey Day

I think I may finally be pumpkined out! Remember there were:




And now introducing pumpkin custard...

The pumpkin custard was inspired by a recent trip to The Cove where we enjoyed some sweet potato custard. (To find out more about The Cove, look here.)

I decided to make my very own custard for Thanksgiving; I figured it would be similar to pumpkin pie without the crust. Crust isn't my favorite thing anyways, so why go through the trouble of making it GF. I followed this recipe, except I didn't make the topping. It seemed like it would be way too sweet with the topping. I also doubled the recipe to make enough to share. 

Here's the pumpkin, eggs, half and half, and brown sugar.

I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to simply mix all the ingredients together.

The most difficult part was filling the pan with water and deciding how much to use. The recipe called for about an inch of water, but I read somewhere else that the water should be as high as the custard. I hoped I didn't fill my custard cups too full. I also used glass Pyrex pans rather than a metal 9 x 13 inch pan to hold all the custard dishes.

Ready to go in the oven

Browned on the top and out it came! Again, since I didn't do the topping I kept the custard in the oven for the whole 50 minutes. It didn't taste as thick as The Cove's custard, but it still tasted delicious. It was yummy enough to eat one the night I made them, one the next day, the next, and the next....hence I am now pumpkined out!

We celebrated Thanksgiving in Wimberley, but still wanted to bring some food to share. Justin had been talking about a Turducken (turkey, duck, and chicken combined) for years. So this year he bought stuff to make a Turducken roll, which consisted of the meat from three breasts in the bird family. I told him to document the process, but as you can see in the picture below...a Turducken is a complicated recipe, especially since he also used three types of stuffing that were all GF by the way. This is what it looked like after all the layers. The next task was deciding how to wrap it all together.

 There were a few mishaps along the way....but nothing major.

Several different ingredients on a small counter.

And one hard worker

We decided to go with what we called "the taco method" and put both sides together. Then Justin proceeded to wrap the meet with several strings and we prayed it would stay together.

The next day, he smoked it on the grill. It stayed together rather well and tasted amazing! I think everyone was impressed. I can't believe I didn't take a picture of the roll on my plate. I see more Turduckens in our future.

We enjoyed getting away for a few days. Iivana had a fun time in Wimberley as well. She loves to run around and had fun with her new friend. She spent time in the sand box and rolling around in mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...