Saturday, November 12, 2011

More Pumpkin

Halloween may be over, but it's still fall, which means more pumpkin recipes.

For some reason, this season I've been especially into finding recipes with pumpkin...I think it started when my hubby made these for me.

I wanted to make pumpkin GF waffles. I started with GF Bisquick.

I searched the Internet for a recipe; I had some trouble find something that wasn't completely from scratch. So I used my cooking skills and modified this recipe that is used with regular Bisquick.

I started by following the box's directions for GF waffles, found here. Then I stirred in a half of cup of pumpkin, which is naturally gluten free. (Just be careful not to buy the pre-made pie filling.) I also added about a tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

They came out with a nice orange color, which may be difficult to see here. Justin and I both loved the way they turned out. The pumpkin flavor was apparent, but not overpowering. My only critique was that they had a spongy, wet consistency, which we weren't sure if it came from all the pumpkin. Maybe next time, I'll try a little less pumpkin. Regardless, they were a wonderful first attempt.

We tried them with maple syrup, but it was almost too sweet. So I had in mind another idea: some vanilla gelato. I only used this one little scoop and it was plenty for the entire waffle.

To do the job, I used Talenti's Tahitian Vanilla Bean gelato. (If you haven't tried this brand, it is amazingly good and you can actually read the ingredients on the back.

Milk, sugar, cream, powdered milk, vanilla, dextrose, guar gum, and lemon! The first picture below shows that this is gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...