Friday, November 18, 2011

Reuben!

Remember when Justin and I went to Dallas for the GF Expo? We purchased a couple packages of GF bread mixes made by Montana Gluten Free Processors. I thought the brown bread mix would be prefect for some GF Reuben sandwiches. 

I followed a recipe that I received when I bought the mixes for European Brown Bread.

1 pkg. Montana GF Bread Mix
2 1/4 tbsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. instant coffee
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds (I omitted these.)
3 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 3/4 cup water between 110 and 115 degrees
1 tsp cider vinegar

The recipe said to mix all dry ingredients first. Then eggs, oil, and vinegar were mixed in a different bowl. After that I combined the two mixtures, and slowly added water to get a cake batter consistency.

It baked at 350 for 45 minutes. The bread came out looking well. It was moist and had a decent consistency. Since I made the bread, I couldn't get over two of the ingredients: cocoa and coffee. I felt I could taste the two and it didn't seem right. However, Justin said he didn't notice. The bread was good and worked for the Reubens.

I sliced the bread, used Boar's Head corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut.

And topped them off with Thousand Island dressing.

Delicious! First time I had a Reuben in years.

I'd be interested to try other pumpernickel/rye-like breads, of course, sans rye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...