Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring

Yesterday is what I consider spring, nice weather in the 60s range. We've been experiencing weather in the high 80s to 90s. Texas seems to skip spring and moves right into summer; I think that's one of the things I miss the most from the north. Down here fall and spring are too quick!

My students especially crack me up on these "cold" days (as they refer to them). They show up in shorts, then proceed to tell me they are freezing and can't feel their feet. I explain to them that this is not cold...but I guess if I was wearing shorts I would think it was cold too.

These lower temperatures made it the perfect day for tortilla soup. To find a recipe, I googled "tortilla soup" and came across this recipe. We actually made it Sunday night because Justin was boiling some chicken pieces. He decided to start it and use the broth from boiling as the base for the soup. We added a few of our own touches to make it that much better.

In addition to the recipe we also added:
  • black beans
  • corn 
I almost left the diced tomatoes out, but decided I needed them to provide the reddish broth color. I used the Muir Glen fire-roasted like the recipe recommended. I think these were one of the secrets to making this recipe so great!

It was so nice to come home and have the soup made already. All we had to do was prepare the garnish and heat the soup. I cut up corn tortillas into thin strips and diced an avocado.

We tried a new oil that was in the recipe, grapeseed oil. My new cupcake book also has some recipes with grapeseed oil, so I was excited to find it at the commissary. 

The tortilla strips were fried in the grapeseed oil until they were hard. Justin put them on a paper towel to cool and sprinkled a little salt. They complemented the soup with a fresh, crisp crunch.

To finish the soup off, we added the tortilla strips, avocado pieces, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

This was the best tortilla soup we've ever made! We make a vast amount of soups and the little touches like the fresh avocado and tortillas put the ribbon on the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...