Monday, May 2, 2011

I Baked!

Remember how I was avoiding baking, well last night I was feeling rather inspired. I ordered "Gluten-Free Cupcakes" by Elana Amsterdam and received it in the mail over this past weekend.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't normally have tried this specific recipe first. But when you look at my overstock of bananas left from my presentation party for class, you can understand why I picked Chocolate Banana Cupcakes.

This extra banana was a good prop to hold open my brand new book. I liked that there weren't many ingredients. Usually a lot of the recipes for baking GF call for numerous flours. This recipe only called for coconut flour with a handful of additional ingredients.

I only had one problem...I was out of cupcake holders. So I improvised with cut up pieces of parchment paper. The dough had a normal consistency of wheat flour cake batter.

They baked well and rose a little, I know it's a little difficult to see in my make-shift paper holders.

I did cheat on the frosting though. The recipe suggested a mashed banana flavored frosting, which I opted out on because it would only stay good for about a day. I knew we couldn't eat all the cupcakes right away. I didn't want to see these wonderful cupcakes in ugly, browned banana frosting. But don't worry it was gluten free.


They were really moist, the bananas made them almost muffin-ish. They would be delicious with some mini chocolate chips and wouldn't really need any frosting then. I liked them and was proud of myself for a successful baking experience.

Yesterday was a high of 95 and today the high was probably about 62. Today actually felt like spring and I loved it! We made some tortilla soup for dinner tonight that complimented the weather perfectly. Here's a sneak peak at the final result.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...