Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chipotle Turkey Chili (take 2)

Tonight's dinner was chipotle turkey chili. I came across the recipe on a free Eat Better America calendar I had received at the start of the year. Since it was from my calendar, I followed the recipe card. This is what the result looked like.

Doesn't it look yummy? I actually made it once before but couldn't find any GF adobo chipotle chiles, so I used jalapenos instead. It was rather bland and I was disappointed in the result. On a recent shopping trip to HEB, we came across these La Costena chiles, which I concluded to be GF.

As I mentioned earlier, I followed a recipe card (not this link, which gives reviews.) I was so ecstatic to include the chipotle peppers because I knew they would add the missing flavor (unlike the first time I tried the recipe). When you get to adding the peppers, the recipe card says this:
  • 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce (from 7 oz. can), finely chopped
Well, I read it quickly and finely chopped the entire 7 oz can! I never cooked with these peppers before and only briefly questioned it, as I chopped all 10  to 12 peppers. I guess in my head I figured they were sweet.

Without hesitation, I dumped them all into the pot. Here is the evidence, the empty can.

I went to taste it with a spoon, SO SPICY! Then Justin tried a little and when he said it was very spicy...I knew I had overdone it. We proceeded to make our bowls with the garish of sour cream, cheese, and cilantro in hopes it would mask some of the spiciness. 

Epic fail, way too hot. We attempted to eat it. My nose ran constantly, my face was covered in condensation-like sweat, and I took a drink after every bite. I even resorted to running to the fridge to chug some milk. 

I was extremely disappointed in my misreading of the recipe. One or two chiles would have added plenty of flavor! I hate wasting food too. Lesson learned, third time's a charm?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...