Monday, May 16, 2011

The Iivana Saga Continues

Last night we gave Iivana a bath, since we could finally take her e-collar off. She looks so silky, shiny, smooth, and clean!

This occasion required a brand new collar!

She looks like a brand new pup.

Upon further examination, Justin discovered one small stitch remains. So tomorrow I'll be going back to the vet, yet again to have the last stitch removed. And so the saga continues...

I also ventured to the grocery store this evening. We can't go a trip without picking up treats for Iivana. These Newman's Own peanut butter treats are one of our favorites to buy. They're small training treats that Iivana drools over.

And of course, I can't forget to mention they are heart shaped. If you notice from the picture above, they do not contain wheat flour. Although, they are made with barley flour, which is still gluten. Every time I give Iivana one of these, I wash my hands like I have OCD.

Tonight I came across these healthy bones. Can you possibly tell why I was excited to buy them (besides the fact that I had a coupon)?

In case you couldn't see it in the last photo, this closer one shows, "gluten free formula" in the upper right hand corner.

As I began taking pictures, I wondered what they were made of. So I looked on the ingredients and the first ingredient was wheat starch

Apparently wheat starch is questionable. According to Celiac Sprue Association, "WHEAT starch By-product of WHEAT processing in which the carbohydrates (starch) are separated from the gluten (protein) in wheat flour by means of a complex process of washing, agitating, sieving, centrifugation and use of hydrocyclone, then drying.  Sometimes added to food items during processing to thicken and stabilize.  WHEAT starch is not considered a risk-free choice; gluten content of WHEAT starch varies greatly.  Both the Codex Alimentarious and the proposed FDA definitions for "gluten-free" allow the use of WHEAT starch and other ingredients "specially processed to remove gluten" in foods labeled "gluten-free" so long as the gluten level does not exceed 20 parts per million in total based on the food as sold or distributed to the consumer."

Iivana enjoyed them, she downed one bone in less than five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...