Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Why CC?

Cross country? Where did the name come from...you may have wondered (or not really at all.) Well, I'm not a cross country runner, although for two of my sisters, Julie and Jill, this title would make sense. The cross country is for a couple reasons:

1. My fellow celiac sister Kristen lives in Chicago (which is far across the United States from me in Texas).
Andy, Me, & Kristen at our first GF Thanksgiving tailgate in Detroit.

2. Justin's in the military, so I never know where we'll be.
This was at a recent award's ceremony!

3. We often travel back to Michigan (or other places on the way), which means my posts are not consistently about one city only.

Please excuse my randomness back and forth about current daily posts and recapping vacations. I want to try to be better about updating the day things happen, but that requires more time, which is often hard to find.

For our trip to see Maren, we were able to visit friends as well. Having not been to East Lansing, since probably our wedding, it was a different experience eating gluten free.  We couldn't visit all of our old favorite places anymore.

Justin found a pizza place, Guido's, in Okemos that was GF that we decided to try with Dave and Amanda. Apparently this is the only Guido's that has GF foods. We talked with the man who makes the pizzas and he was very knowledgable about cross contamination. In fact, he said he was opening an entire GF deli in a few weeks. I will definitely try it next time I'm in the EL area! I was excited when we entered to see some GF desserts: brownies and cookies! I decided to buy a cookie because Jill had the brownies at her house! The cookies weren't made at the pizzeria, but it had been a while since I had a sugar cookie.

It was a good thing I bought the sugar cookie, because it took forever to get our pizza. I know this was because of my BBQ chicken GF pizza. As I mentioned, the chef was very knowledgeable about cross contamination. It was the best crust I've had yet as GF! The toppings were okay, but usually GF crust is paper thin, crunchy, and tasteless. This crust was a little thicker, soft, and chewy.

The pizza was a little pricey at $23.00 but I took the leftovers to my sisters. I was adamant about eating the leftovers too, in order to not waste money! I didn't notice how much bacon was in the pizza until I ate the leftovers. They weren't too bad microwaved, but I bet would taste even better reheated in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...