Monday, March 28, 2011

Focaccia Mix

Remember when I bought a whole bunch of Chebe products at HEB for 89 cents each? Well, I finally got around to making one of the mixes yesterday for dinner. I'm a lucky girl because Justin cooks a lot, in fact more than I do I think. He coaxed me into making the bread by saying, "You're the better baker." He prepared the rest of dinner, breaded fish and asparagus.

Breaded fish you wonder? His secret was to cover the tilapia in dijon mustard. Then he used corn flake crumbs for the breading by mixing them with italian spices. Next he pan fried the fish in as little oil as possible. It was a great alternative to our usual fish.

My part of the meal: focaccia bread!

I followed the directions on the back of the bag. It was pretty simple; I combined the mix with eggs, parmesan cheese, oil, and milk. I spread the dough in the pan and made indents with my thumb. Then I dusted the top with olive oil and sprinkled italian herbs and garlic.

I baked it at 375 for 35 minutes. The time on the package was pretty true! It came out golden brown and perfectly cooked.

You can see the cheese in the flakey piece. It was soft and delicious served hot, no butter needed.

I've been on a kick of not wasting specialty GF food we buy. So for dinner tonight we made panini's on the Gorge Forman grill from the left over bread. Mine had turkey, pepperoni, salami, red onion, and Wishbone Italian dressing. They turned out good (I can't remember the last time I had a grilled sub) and the bread wasn't too dry. It was a pretty good thickness as well. My only complaint was that it was a little chewy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...