Monday, March 7, 2011

Busy Bee

I've been meaning to blog the last couple days, but I just haven't had the time. We have visitors in from out of town. While I'm not too motivated to do homework right now, I figured I'd write a quick entry.

Since my brother-in-law's kids are here and his name is Jason, I thought it would fitting to write about a recent Jason's Deli trip. I'm hoping Subway will soon offer a GF bun, but it's nice in SA that there are quite a few Jason's Delis. It makes having a sandwich a possibility and a good one at that. The first time I tried their GF bread I was in Houston for a convention for school. I saw on the menu it said to ask for a gluten free menu. Being newly diagnosed and my first trip there as a GF eater, I asked the young worker for a GF menu. He said I could get any sandwich on GF bread. Wow, I thought that is awesome! While I questioned it a little, I figured the ingredients in the one I chose sounded like they could be GF. When my sandwich arrived I made an enormous error by not double checking that it was GF. Now 5 months into eating GF, I realize double and triple checking is key. As I ate the sandwich, I thought it was the best bread and maybe eating GF wouldn't be so bad! It was a big hoagie bun. As you can see in the picture, their bread is not in bun form. While I don't recall feeling any effects, I know that I went to bed early.


Luckily, that experience hasn't stopped me from returning to Jason's Deli. We've gone back many times since that first experience in November. I now recognize what the bread looks like and know there is a separate menu. I create my own sandwich, which usually consists of the same ingredients: turkey, red onions, spinach, and balsamic vinegar. I ordered with fresh fruit a dollar more, I avoid the salad bar, and I'm always sure to get a little bowl of their free ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...