Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Beat the Wheat

We decided to go wine tasting in Fredericksburg when Julie and Rachel were in town. Wine tasting is awesome because...it's not beer tasting, full of barley, which I'm not allowed to have. We tried a couple new wineries where we drank jalapeno wine and visited a winery that looked like a saloon. On the tour, we stopped in a chocolate shop where we spotted a sign for a gluten free bakery. I had found the bakery online prior to the visit, but was pretty sure the hours were Monday through Friday only and it was Sunday. I decided to call anyways while Justin and I were waiting for Julie. They said they were still open, so I was thrilled.


We jetted over before they closed. Actually the bakery, Beat the Wheat was inside a store called the Peach Basket. Unfortunately the bakery was indeed closed. But the good news is that they had a couple of cookies, muffins, and bread in the health store. I wanted a snickerdoodle cookie but it felt pretty hard, so I settled on a chocolate chip cookie that felt softer.


Since I prefer soft cookies, the hip chip was a good choice. I thought the cookie was decent. I'm starting to be able to differentiate a little among gluten free baked goods. You could definitely tell it was GF and made with alternative flours. I'm not saying it was bad...just not comparable at all to the ones we devoured from Snap Kitchen in Austin.


I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't disappointed with the cookie though, it was that the bakery was closed. I wanted to try some of the other food they offer too. There's something about going to a place that is completely dedicated to your specific diet needs that makes your heart beat a little faster. I know we'll go back to Fredericksburg again, and next time I'll make sure it's a week day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...