Wednesday, March 23, 2011

KENS 5

Today I went to a presentation about weatherbug, a tool that many schools use in the classroom with real time data. The interesting thing is that the local news also uses the data, so there is a partnership. I spent my day out of the classroom at KENS 5 news with local meteorologists Bill Taylor, Paul Mireles, and Jared Silverman!

This was the little set where the presentation was given. The room was once used to film Air Force news that was streamed all over the world.

My photo op. with the weekend weatherman Jared Silverman, a fellow Big 10 Alum from Penn State.

Then came the live feed segment! Bill Taylor talked about the program on air and they scanned across the audience with the camera. I waved and was pretty sure I was on camera. Unfortunately, I did not have the DVR set up and didn't get to see it.

Lunch was provided for everyone. As a celiac, I prepared my own sack lunch and lugged it in a bag that I squeezed under my chair. I was happy to see Jason's Deli was the choice. They do have gluten free bread, so I wondered would there be any gluten free bread boxed sandwiches? Curious, I wandered over to the table, only to see labeled pieces of paper of white, wheat, and rye. I meandered through the line to grab a bottled water, then ate my lunch discretely out of my bag. Six months into eating GF, I'm still figuring things out. When thinking about my day today, I should have emailed the coordinator ahead of time to ask for a GF meal. The worst thing they could say is no, but I know Jason's Deli would've been able to accommodate. In the future, I need think more ahead than just bringing my own lunch but to call head.

After lunch we listened to the presentation about the features, costs, and highlights of the system. We wrapped up the day with a tour where they shot the weather. We saw the green screen, computers, anchor chairs, Good Morning San Antonio set, the prompters, and the whole set.

Here's a photo of all three meteorologists.

Tomorrow I'll take the info and report it to my principal. Even if we don't get it, what an experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...