Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sunday Newspaper

To be honest, I like getting the Sunday newspaper for the ads and the coupons. Occasionally I'll flip through and something will catch my eye to read. In this instance that didn't happen. Justin was the one who spotted the article about "Living Gluten Free" on the front page of the Taste section. I waited to post about this because I had been trying to find the article online to link, but have not had much luck finding it.
So here is a picture...

Here's the rest of the article.

Okay, okay I know you're thinking how in the world are we supposed to read that?  I will bullet a few interesting points taken from the Sunday, February 13, 2011 San Antonio Express New's "Living Gluten Free" article.
  • Celiac disease is common but it is difficult for people to be diagnosed. (p. 1H) It took a long time for me to realize I might have it. You did not hear much about it in the 90s. 
  • "It's often overlooked or misdiagnosed because it can manifest itself in different ways, including anemia, fatigue, intestinal problems and vitamin deficiency" (p. 1H). Hello!  I've been anemic since I was 8.
  • Recent studies show that about 1 in 100 Americans have celiac disease, but 97 percent are undiagnosed. (p. 1H)
  • It discusses resources in San Antonio including the Little Aussie Bakery, Sun Harvest, Whole Foods, Central Market, Alamo Celiac group (which I still need to join but I've used many resources from their website), products at the Pearl Farmer's Market. I need to make another trip to the Farmer's Market soon to check out HGD Foods. (p. 1H - 3H)
I also had two people at school ask me today if I saw the article!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...