Friday, February 4, 2011

EEk Pancakes!

Pancakes were ruined for me early in my journey of eating gluten free.  Justin and I usually made big breakfasts on Saturdays and Sundays, which usually consisted of pancakes or waffles since I don't really like eggs.  We grabbed a box of gluten free pancake mix from the commissary, to make a big breakfast one Saturday.  The mix smelled like angel food cake mix.  The pancakes were a bust!  They weren't fluffy, didn't taste like pancakes, and required the whole box for 10 pancakes!  I knew it would require trying different brands to find a good one.  But in the back of my head, I thought maybe all pancake mixes taste that horrid.

I knew Bisquick came out with a gluten free mix.  I never liked pancakes from Bisquick as a kid, but wanted to give the mix a try anyways. The majority of the time we shop at the commissary to get our groceries because it's cheaper and closer. We'll make a Whole Foods, Sun Harvest, or Central Market trip about once every month to stock up on specialty items.  Since Bisquick was a newer product of course the commissary didn't carry it.  

Last weekend we went to Houston to celebrates Justin's grandpa's 79th birthday. I was ecstatic when grandma gave me some GF Bisquick that she had found at Walmart. It's an amazing thing when people think of you and get something GF for you!  I couldn't wait to get home to try it.

Yay, my own GF Bisquick to try!

In fact, Sunday when we returned home I insisted that we try pancakes for dinner made by the GF Bisquick. I added some blueberries to the mix.

Ready to eat.

When I took my first bite, I instantly fell in love.  Pancakes that taste like pancakes!  Since I've been completely gluten free for 5 months, I always wonder if my taste buds have changed.  Justin is there to keep me in check. While he eats GF with me at home, he'll occasionally have some gluten at work or if we go out somewhere. He didn't think they were amazing, but he did think they were definitely better than the other ones we tried.  

Monday night we ran to the commissary to get a few groceries for the week. What do you think they had there?  GF Bisquick! I squealed to myself in the aisle with excitement.  I threw a box in our cart, because I've seen other recipes that use Bisquick that I want to try out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...