Monday, February 27, 2012

GF Chex Mix

I mentioned yesterday that over the weekend I made some gluten free Chex mix!

I had some Rice Chex on hand that I had opened a while ago and wanted to use up. To be honest, I don't eat Rice Chex plain as cereal, however I find it perfect for things like puppy chow and monster cookies! I'm trying not to waste as much these days, and this box had been open long enough to where it would soon be stale.  

With that said, I had the idea to make some Chex mix. In my recent online food deal, I ordered Glutino pretzels and Glutino bagel chips. (Although most of the bagel chips were eaten on Valentine's Day with the homemade humus.) I simply used the original recipe on the back of the Chex box with some slight modifications. 



Original Recipe calls for 3 cups of Rice Chex, 3 cups of Corn Chex, and 3 cups of Wheat Chex
  • I used 9 cups of Rice Chex (Obviously no wheat, and I prefer the taste of Rice to Corn)
Recipe also called for 1 cup of mixed nuts
  • I omitted the nuts, because I thought I had some at home but was mistaken
1 cup of pretzels
  • I used 2 - 3 cups of Glutino GF pretzels
1 cup of garlic bagel chips
  • The rest of the box of Glutino Bagel Chips went into my bowl!
I used my roaster pan to mix it all together and was able to bake straight in that pan too.


 For the sauce, I followed the recipe exactly. (Be sure to make sure your Worcestershire sauce is GF)

6tablespoons butter
2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4teaspoon garlic powder
1/2teaspoon onion powder


I poured the mixture over, stirred until it was evenly mixed, and decided to bake it in the oven. It took an hour to bake at 250 degrees. Every 15 minutes I took it out to stir.

My aunt would make this every Christmas and mine tasted like hers, except no gluten! I still have a hefty bag full to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...