Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sweet & Spicy

I needed to get out of the house today, so I made a trip to Central Market. Every time I'm there I look at the beer selection for new GF beers. I'm usually disappointed after scanning the GF beer section. (I really just need to be honest with myself. There aren't going to be new GF beers every month.) Then I check out the cider section, since most ciders are naturally gluten free. I don't ever recall seeing this brand before: Angry Orchard; maybe they are just new to Texas since it is made in Ohio.

There were three different flavors being sold at Central Market. I decided to pick the one that sounded the most unique. I chose Apple Ginger, but the other flavors were Traditional Dry and Crisp Apple. I'm interested to try the other flavors too. At my first sip, I really wasn't sure I was going to like the Apple Ginger. The ginger seemed strong and I second-guessed picking this flavor to try first. With each sip, I enjoyed the cider more and more. It was definitely different from other cider flavors that I've drank before. Overall I liked the Angry Orchard Apple Ginger Cider.

Justin must have been on my mind today! Yesterday we were talking about brewing our own hard cider and I bought some today. And then I decided to make some jalapeno poppers! Justin and I love to enjoy finger food/appetizers. I think I needed some comfort food today.

Of course my inspiration for the recipe came from Pinterest. I actually followed this recipe for easy baked jalapeno poppers step by step. (I omitted bread crumbs which are only a suggestion.) I halved the recipe of course because I'm only making for one! But I still ended up with a ton of left overs. First I washed 5 enormous jalapenos. Seriously I need to use jalapenos more in recipes because these only cost 51 cents.

I cut them in half.

Then I deseeded the jalapenos.

I whipped up the filling by combining the cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, and cilantro. I was lazy and didn't really measure any of it. I eyeballed it and may have used more cilantro than the recipe called for, but regardless they came out delicious and tasty.

The amount of cheese mixture I made was the perfect amount. I didn't have any left over, but had enough for each half to be filled to the top.

I baked for 15 minutes at 425.

They came out golden brown and ready to eat.

I paired the poppers with the Angry Orchard and it made a sweet and spicy combination. I was proud of the pairing that I created on my own. These poppers were simple and easy to make. The filling was light and airy. The cilantro is a nice touch to freshen the taste. I can't wait to make them for my hubby when he comes home. I see these as a great game day treat.

Miss and love you hubby.

1 comment:

  1. I think I might try the recipe for our Cinco De Mayo get-together in Wimberley. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...