Friday, September 2, 2011

Free Baking Class!

I've been so detached from my blog since school has start and I don't like it! I have so much to talk about and feel I won't do ultimate justice with big time gaps in between. Luckily, tonight I'm relaxing on the couch with some MSU football and amazing appetizers.

I'll try to talk about the finger food in the next few days. I know I still need to talk about our fried feast from last week! So much to tell...

My roomie, who I miss dearly, tipped me off about a gluten free baking class being held at Williams Sonoma. I had to check it out and dragged Justin along with me, even with our Fantasy draft later that Sunday afternoon.

I thought more celiacs would have signed up for the class, but it seemed to be filled with weekly regulars. There was one lady who was there because her son was wheat free, but I was the only celiac. Everyone else was learning for the first time about GF.

The instructor was honest, which I truly appreciated. She started off explaining that she didn't normally partake in GF baking. In fact, she said she knew very little on the topic until she researched it. To my surprise, she covered all of the basics. She mentioned cross contamination, the difficulty of batter consistency, and discussed replacements for wheat flour. She even practiced at home before hand.

Here's a picture of us gathered around while she demonstrated.

Williams Sonoma recently came out with their own GF flour cup for cup (C4C). It's supposedly a cup for cup replacement for regular recipes. The demonstrator said she tried it in four recipes and two turned out and two didn't. She also used the flour in a cupcake recipe, seen below.

She demonstrated mixing the cupcake batter. The ingredient list was fairly simple and not too complicated to make. The batter was very elastic but light and airy.

Here's the recipe for the cupcakes:
  • 2 cups C4C flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 1 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup of milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Line muffin pans with paper lining. 
- Combine all dry ingredients
- Cream together sugar and the butter until light and airy. Add in vanilla extract.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl and add 2 whole eggs.
- Mix for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Combine the flour mixture into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until medium peaks begin to form.
- Fold in egg whites into batter.
- Scoop the batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and spread favorite frosting,


The flour runs at $19.95 for a 3 pound bag. After the class, we received ten percent off so we decided to pick up a bag of the GF flour. I'm excited to try it in different recipes. We had to run shortly after the cupcakes came out, but the lady gave me two for the road. I had some extra frosting from cake decorating class, so I smeared some on. 

The cupcakes were moist, flavorful, and soft! They reminded me of the sponge cake I made, although this recipe seemed simpler. I want to try to make them at home or try the recipe as a cake.

Williams Sonoma also sells a GF brownie mix, which was AMAZING! I questioned if these were truly GF. They were thick, moist, and the consistency was just like gluten filled brownies. If you love brownies, these are a must have.

She mentioned they were hoping to do a second GF baking class in time, so I will definitely stay tuned. Good thing I now get emails from Williams Sonoma!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...