Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Happy Celiac Awareness Day

It's late. I've been depriving my blog, yet again. But I feel compelled to post something on Celiac Awareness Day. I wish I had a shirt or something that I could've warn to school today. I guess I'll have to make sure to get one for next year. Today was picture day at school too!

To celebrate Celiac Awareness Day, here a couple photos from a recent trip to one of our favorite restaurants that works amazingly well with the gluten free community. Las Canarias can make pretty much anything from their menu GF. (See our July visit here). We went during lunch hours because it is reasonably priced.

We started by splitting some watermelon and tomato gazpacho. It had wonderful flavor and was super fresh. Admittedly, neither of us realized it is a cold soup. It wasn't our favorite menu item, but still had good flavor.

We also split our sandwiches for lunch, and of course had to order the Kobe burger again. The other sandwich we split was the blackened red fish sandwich. We made sure to order them gluten free so they came on GF bread. We wondered if they made their own bread or if it was bought. After questioning, our waiter showed us none other that an Udi's bread package! My plate came with a cup of fruit as well.

We even ordered dessert, which we rarely do! This was homemade gelato...we went the day of the UTSA game, so I'm trying to remember the exact flavors they had that day. The pink one was cherry peppercorn and the brown one was something to do with nuts. Both were succulent and unique than any ice cream/gelato/frozen yogurt I've ever tried!

I also forget to mention that we took a bike peddler (bike taxi) to the restaurant from the game. We took a VIA bus to the game from base and didn't feel like walking for lunch. This was an amazing idea because we were hungry and...

...it was hot! Notice the umbrella for shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...