Monday, September 19, 2011

Gluten in the House

As you know I've been gluten free for a year now. Justin and I are still baffled as to how this happened tonight. I slowly but surely got rid of all the gluten in the house, except for an occasional cookie or ice cream cone that we clearly know is not GF, and is mostly in the house for when the niece and nephews are over.

Over the weekend we went to Whole Foods to stock up on GF items, use my LivingSocial deal, and buy some fresh produce. After watching Food Inc. on Netflix a while ago, we figured the extra money spent on hormone free chicken, where they are able to roam, was worth it. Normally we pay 2.75 a pound for chicken at the commissary. Yesterday we paid $6.49 a pound for chicken! We knew the quality of the chicken was better.

For dinner tonight, Justin was making some broiled chicken. I was helping by making some mashed sweet potatoes. Right after Justin finished marinating the chicken, I noticed a soy sauce bottle on the counter. I questioned, "Did you use this soy sauce?"

Justin: It was in the fridge.

Me: That kind has wheat!

Justin: But it was in the fridge! I thought you got rid of all the gluten, I didn't even look.

Me: I thought I did too. I know that brand has wheat, I don't know why it was still in there. Where did you even find it?

The culprit: Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce.
(As you can see, the empty bottle is now in the recycling bin.)

I double checked to be sure, yes wheat.

 Iivana, my nosey little helper found the need to sniff the gluten-filled sauce.

At least I noticed before I ate any. But it sure does look delicious. Of course, it had to be the chicken that costs more than twice the cost of what we normally pay! Justin will have to eat it for lunch & dinner tomorrow while I'm at class.

Plan B: left over nachos, which were quite tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...