Monday, September 5, 2011

Lovely Labor Day

An extended weekend is always respected and enjoyed. Of course, with a holiday on a Monday; Monday is not a typical day. We had Justin's troop over along with his wife and daughter for lunch. I was also able to sleep in and of course, do some homework and check papers.

For the last eight Mondays, I've been attending cake decorating class. This Monday I didn't have one, last week was my last one. Unfortunately, I won't be at one again for a while. It is something I enjoy, but don't really have the time for with work and class two nights a week.

I just finished up my second class, which is the gum paste and flower class at Michael's. Each week we weren't required to make a cake, since we worked on making different types of flowers. For the final week, I used most of the flowers I made each week to help decorate my cake. 

I picked the ones that were pink and yellow.

I didn't have time to make all new flowers, so I thought I'd be able to make something work out of the hodgepodge of flowers I had created each week.

I think I made them look good together too!

We also learned how to do the basket weave.

For the inside of my GF cake, I used the vanilla cupcake recipe from Amsterdam's Gluten Free Cupcake book. While I'm not sure if I should use a specific cupcake recipe for a cake, I did it anyways and just doubled it. My cake was still tiny, even with doubling the recipe.

I made a lemon flavored frosting and used a blueberry jam filling. The cake was alright, it was a little dense, definitely not as fluffy as the cupcakes from Williams Sonoma. In all honesty though, I picked it for that reason. I knew it would be easy to cut in half and decorate if it was a little more firm of a cake. Everyone at Justin's work still gobbled it up too.

Happy Labor Day to all, and here's to a short work week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...