Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Happy 3rd Anniversary to US!

All the savings from Groupon, helped us be able to afford more expensive restaurants (normally I would be too frugal to go to) that offered gluten free dining. I did research and read reviews before the trip on urbanspoon, yelp, and Alamo celiac websites. I made a note by one restaurant to go at lunch because it is much more affordable. When Saturday afternoon rolled around, I suggested Las Canarias to my hubby. 

Before we were seated, I asked the hostess if it was true that they could accommodate gluten free diners. He checked with the chef, no problem! When we were seated, I scanned the lunch menu and felt a little antsy. Most of the options were served on bread! Here we go, I thought, another bunless sandwich. 

When the waiter asked if we were ready to order, I told him about my special dietary needs. He told me I could order pretty much anything on the menu and the chef could change it up to be GF. In all honesty, I was thinking this could not be true. I figured I was dealing with someone who was not educated about GF eating. He proceeded to tell me one of the chef's wife has celiac and so he understands! I began to feel at ease.

We decided to start with an appetizer, Proscuitto Wrapped Articokes. To be sure when ordering, Justin said no ciabatta. 

I don't think I have the ability to express in words how amazing this lunch was! Hands down, this was the best meal of the weekend...maybe even ever. There was so much flavor; and combinations I've never had before. All the ingredients were fresh and succulent. The asparagus wrapped in proscuitto was my favorite. Even the arugula was cleaned off the plate. The garnishes were not only beautiful by tasty as well. The tomatoes made my taste buds dance. Ah, my mouth is watering now.

Some wonderful things happened at this restaurant that gave me a wonderful peace of mind. When I ordered, I asked for the American Kobe Beef Burger with fries. First, the waiter came back after the order and said I wouldn't be able to have the fries, how about a salad. This would not be a burger wrapped in lettuce, they had gluten free bread too. Next, the chef came out to personally talk to us! He said he was going to make it into two smaller burgers because the GF bread is smaller.

I wish I would've taken a better photo, but I was just too excited to try it, especially after the starter.

Justin ordered the Creekstone Farms Beef Panini, which came with a fried egg on the top. He got his GF too. Since both of ours were split into two sandwiches we were able to share. It was perfect, I gave him one of my burgers and he gave me a beef panini.

Now I know what you're thinking, Karen doesn't like eggs. But O-M-G, the beef panini with the egg was awesome. It was melty and decadent. The Kobe Burger was juicy and what quality meat! I know it might look like a regular burger on bread, but it was so much more.

Did I mention when our food was brought out the chef came out AGAIN? He told us that he personally prepared all the food. I could eat in complete confidence that I would not get sick. We repeatedly thanked the chef, our server, and other workers. We were so grateful for this restaurant experience. Justin and I promised ourselves we would make trips downtown during lunch on Saturdays more often to eat here.

The lunch prices were not that bad at all either. Our lunch with a starter was only $34. 

_______________________________________________________________
Today is our real anniversary! So much has happened in the last three years, it makes me wonder what 25 years will be like. I love every second of it though. Love you, Justin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...