Monday, December 26, 2011

Xmas

Justin and I spent Xmas in Texas this year; Christmas day we saw his grandparents, aunt, uncle, cousin, brother/wife, and kids, so it was nice to see some family. My parents are coming to visit tomorrow for a week too! We spent Christmas Eve at our house in San Antonio and were heading out to the hill country on Christmas day. Since we'd be going out to Wimberley, we decided to open presents on Xmas eve.

I must've been a good girl this year! Here are a few highlights of some of the gifts I received this year.

Pink shoes!

New watch with changeable straps.

Jingle bell charm for my charm bracelet.

I received the book, The Help, from Justin's family Xmas exchange from his cousin Jeanette. I finished it today and couldn't put it down!

So Justin bought me the movie, The Help...I'm interested to see how they compare.

I not only bought Justin Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, but the gift to play it most of the day on Xmas eve. I read The Help most of the day; it was nice for both of us to relax together.

Of course Iivana had her fill of gifts as well. These next several pictures are her opening a bone from Justin's parents. Iivana opened the bone all by herself from wrapping, to plastic, to bow, to consuming. I thought it was pretty commical.







On Christmas morning we had cinnamon rolls, it has sort of become a tradition of ours. Our first year of marriage we had gluten filled ones that you pop out of the Pillsbury can. Last year, I made them from scratch and it was my first GF Christmas. They were okay...I know a lot more about baking GF than I did a year ago. This year I took the easy route and bought Udi's Cinnamon rolls. I love Udi's bread and Udi's cookies, so I figured I'd give the cinnamon rolls a try. (While I was taking this photo, someone ehem...Iivana...decided to counter surf and check out what we were having for breakfast.)

I had kept them in the freezer and pulled them out Christmas morning. I looked at the box and was surprised there were no directions for how to heat them. Do people tend to not heat them up because they are already cooked? To me, I need warm cinnamon rolls, so I again took the easy route and used the microwave. I popped one in for about 30 seconds.

I warmed each and covered it with the cinnamon glaze that was provided. To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the cinnamon rolls. I must have high expectations for Udi's products. I thought they were a little dry and I wasn't a huge fan of the glaze. I prefer a strictly vanilla flavored icing. Justin and I wondered if they were meant to be more like muffins and just kept in the fridge when ready to eat. Did warming them up, dry them out more? I'm not going to say I hated them, because I still found room for two. I guess I was just hoping for a more comparable GF version.

After breakfast we headed over to the squadron to serve Christmas dinner to basic trainees. We sported aprons and cool chefs' hats. It was fun volunteering, even if I did work up a sweat serving the potatoes, stuffing, and yams.

After lunch we stopped home to pack up the car and drove to Wimberley. We had a nice linner (lunch/dinner), gave the kids their presents, played games, and spent time chatting. For some reason, I always forget to take many pictures when we're there. I must be in the zone of relaxation!

I did get a few of our niece and nephews opening some gifts.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen - I'm sorry to hear that your first experience with our cinnamon rolls was not up to our standards! We realize not having heating instructions on the package makes it difficult to get the perfect roll. If you're interested, I would be happy to send you a coupon so you can try another product or have another go with our cinnamon rolls. (I'll even send you warming instructions!). Please send me an email at whofstetter@udisglutenfree.com if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...