Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Vacation

Having time off from work and school has allowed me to bake!  I've always enjoyed baking but have not had much time to fool around with GF recipes.  I think I've made more things in the last week than I have in the last 3 months.

I made a GF rhubarb crunch using a blend of different flours and certified GF Bob's Red Mill oats.

The finished product.  It tasted pretty amazing, because there is not much left!

I found this corn bread mix at the commissary.  Justin and I were craving bread, and it seemed like the easiest one to make because it did not require rising time.  When searching Bob's Red Mill website, I've realized there are so many products I have not tried yet.  That is from one manufacturer of GF food, there is still so much I have not discovered!

It was supposed to be baked in a 9x9 metal pan, I only had glass that size so I used two smaller loaf pans.  I never made corn bread even with gluten, so I don't have much to compare it to.  My husband said that he liked it, which most GF stuff he is honest about.  With some margarine slabbed on, it tastes exquisite and went well with a soup I made from leftovers in the fridge.  My only annoyance was that boxes of Jiffy Cornbread mix only cost 25 cents (when looking at the ingredients in Jiffy, the #1 was wheat).  I guess I'm still coming to terms with the extra cost of living gluten free.

These I didn't cook, but was happy to see that many of my favorite sugary candies are GF.  As you can see, I already have half of this bag gone.

Mike & Ike's even say gluten free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...