Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hello November

It's hard to believe that it is November already! I feel like it was just yesterday when I was welcoming Justin home and now October is gone too. Last weekend we went to an '80s themed Halloween party. 

My hubby's costume was totally rad: a mullet, glasses, and a laser background! The background was inspired from Pinterest. I took a laser background that I found online and made a poster at Walgreens. We glued it to a box and connected a backpack so he could wear it. We configured the straps of the backpack to go through the back of his sweater so you wouldn't see the straps. 

We dressed Iivana up as a ladybug this year on Halloween. She wasn't a fan of the little hood with the heart antennae, but she did look adorable! (Remember last year, she was Minnie Mouse!)

She enjoyed a new rope toy that was sent from her Grannie and Uelo too. 

Whenever I think of Halloween, I think of beef stew. My mom would make it every Halloween! It was a tradition that I wanted to share with Justin this year so I called my mom up for the recipe. I made it the night before and Justin came home at lunch to put it in the oven so it would be ready for dinner.

It was actually a pretty easy recipe to make too; it just takes 5 hours to cook so you have to plan accordingly. Below, I'll share the recipe. It's my grandma's recipe and makes me think of my childhood. I made one minor adjustment to make it gluten free!

Beef Stew:

  • 2 lbs. of meat (I used precut stew meat. But my mom says she has also used round steak or even sirloin.) 
  • 4-5 potatoes (I like to use a crinkle cutter and cut them into about 1 in. chunks.)
  • 6 large carrots (I used baby carrots and cut them in half. I used about half a 1 lb. bag.)
  • 1 big white onion (cut into rings)
  • 1 small can of peas (I ended up using about half a bag of frozen peas.)
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • slice of bread cut into small pieces (I used the ends of 2 slices of Udi's bread that I had in my freezer. I cut them into small pieces and it worked great.)
  • 1/2 tbsp. of salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 4 tbsp. of tapioca (sprinkle in)
  • 46 oz. can of V-8 (use about 2/3 or until all the stew is covered)
Mix all the ingredients together and bake at 250 degrees for 5 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...